Sweet, spicy, and savory these vegan tacos are incredibly delicious.
- 4 dried Guajillo chiles, seeds and stems removed
- 1 dried Ancho chile, seeds and stem removed
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- the juice and zest of one orange
- 14oz can of pineapple tidbits
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 15oz cans of chickpeas drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1/4 cup finely sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges (optional)
In a small saucepan over medium heat add the dried chiles, garlic, onion, orange juice and zest, the juice from the can of pineapple, oregano, thyme, cumin, paprika, and salt and bring to a low boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook until the chiles are tender (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat and let the mixture cool for a few minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pour the chile mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth.
In a large bowl mix the sauce and the chickpeas together and spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the sauce has almost completely dried.
Serve in tortillas and top with the pineapple tidbits, red onion, chopped cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Serving Size: 5
- Calories: 349
- Fat: 6.2
- Carbohydrates: 62
- Protein: 15