Are you looking for a flavorful sandwich with a satisfying crunch?
Check out this vegan banh mi with peanut crusted tofu!
What is Banh Mi?
Banh Mi is a Vietnamese sandwich that’s full of flavor from fresh cilantro and pickled vegetables that’s served on a baguette.
Banh Mi is actually a Vietnamese term for a French-style baguette that was introduced during the French colonization.
Kind of like pizza, there isn’t one single way to prepare Banh Mi. Instead there are many combinations of different spreads, herbs, and proteins making the possibilities endless.
This vegan version uses peanut crusted tofu, which adds a deliciously nutty crunch without overpowering the other flavors.
Want to make a vegan Banh Mi sandwich?
The first thing you need to do is pickle your vegetables by letting them soak in the mixture of sugar and vinegar.
Also, mix together the chili paste, water, and flax seeds and let sit for 15 minutes.
While you’re waiting, prepare the peanuts by grinding them in a food processor until they are the consistency of fine gravel. Then mix in the planko.
Coat your tofu in flour, dip it into the chili mixture, and then dredge in the ground peanuts.
Pan fry the tofu until golden and serve on a toasted baguette with vegan mayo, pickled vegetables, jalapeno, cucumber, cilantro, and green onions.
Squeeze a little lime juice over the tofu and enjoy!
More vegan dinner recipesPrint
A delicious vegan of the Banh Mi sandwich with crunchy peanut crusted tofu.
- 4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup peeled and grated daikon radish
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 5 Tbsp hot water
- 1 Tbsp chili paste
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup panko
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 French baguettes
- 1/2 vegan mayo
- 16 sprigs cilantro
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced
- 2 limes cut into quarters
- In a small bowl combine the vinegar and sugar. Microwave for 20 seconds and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the carrots and radish and let sit for at least 15 mins.
- In another small bowl mix the flax, water, and chili paste together let of sit 15 mins.
- Using a tofu press (or place the tofu between two plates with a heavy object on top) remove as much water as possible.
- In a food processor, grind the peanuts into a coarse flour. Combine the peanuts and the panko together in a shallow dish.
- Cut the tofu once lengthwise, widthwise, and heightwise so there are 8 equal pieces.
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Pour the flour into a shallow dish.
- Take each piece of tofu and roll it in the flour, dip into the flax mixture, and then coat with the ground peanuts.
- Place tofu in the pan and cook for 1-2 mins per side or until golden.
- Cut each baguette into 4 equal sections and then slice open to form buns. Toast the inside of the buns under a broiler.
- Cover each bun with a Tbsp of mayo and then evenly distribute the cucumber, carrot mix, jalapeno, cilantro and green onions.
- Once the tofu is cool enough to handle, slice each piece in half heightwise. Place two halves on each bun.
- Squeeze lime juice over the tofu.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 477
- Fat: 20.3
- Carbohydrates: 48
- Protein: 15
Keywords: Vegan, sandwich