While backpacking I like to use the freezer bag method of cooking.
What is freezer bag cooking?
Mix all of the ingredients together in quart sized ziplock freezer bag and store until you’re ready to eat it. *Note: make sure it’s a freezer bag and not a normal sandwich bag since they can’t hold up to high temperatures.
To prepare the food, simply add the amount of hot water required, carefully mix to make sure of the ingredients are covered, and set aside until the food is ready.
I usually eat it straight out of the bag with a spork.
Using this method eliminates the need for pots or pans and bowl since the only equipment you’ll need is a kettle and a eating utensil.
This is a fast and easy vegan backpacking meal that works great with the freezer bag method.
It’s made with instant garlic mashed potatoes, dairy-free cheese sauce, and vegetarian bacon bits.
More vegan backpacking food
- The Ultimate Vegan Backpacking Meal Guide
- 10 Easy Vegan Backpacking Breakfasts
- Vegan Backpacking Meals At REI
Vegan backpacking gearPrint
Vegan Backpacking Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Prep Time: 1 min
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 11 mins
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Freezer bag
- Cuisine: Vegan, Backpacking
Hearty and delicious vegan backpacking potatoes.
- 1 box Edward & Sons Roasted Garlic Instant Mashed Potatoes
- 2 Tbsps Leahey Garden’s Cheese Flavored Sauce Mix
- 3 Tbsps Imitation Bacon Bits
- 1 Tbsp dehydrated vegetables(optional)
- 1 tsp dehydrated minced onions
- 2 1/4 boiling water
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in an airtight container.
- To prepare, add boiling water, stir, and set aside for 5-10 mins
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 428
- Fat: 2.9
- Carbohydrates: 87
- Protein: 15
Keywords: Vegan, Backpacking, freezer bag cooking, potatoes
I grew up in Germany, and mashed potatoes don’t contain bacon there, so it’s actually just the milk that needs to be added to instant mashed potatoes that poses a problem. But it could be interesting to add vegan bacon, nice idea.
The mashed potatoes here don’t typically have bacon either, but there’s a variation called Loaded Mashed Potatoes (or Loaded Baked Potatoes) that are covered with cheddar and bacon. I don’t know about other places, but here almost all of our instant potatoes contain dairy. It’s pretty hard to find any that are vegan.
I made loving all these camping tips! Never thought of his one before!