Sweet, tart, and refreshing, lemonade is the quintessential summertime drink.
It’s the perfect way to cool off after a long day of playing in the sun. Of course, the best kind of lemonade is homemade, which is really easy to make.
If you want to add a splash of color to your Fourth Of July celebration try this red, white, and blue ginger lemonade.
It combines herb infused colorful ice cubes with a tasty gingery homemade lemonade.
However, you could use straight butterfly pea flower tea, which would result in a much darker blue. One cool thing about this tea is that it changes color when mixed with something acidic. Stir in some lemon juice and it will turn purple.
The beautiful red is from hibiscus, which has a tart flavor, but a little goes a long way.
Finally, the white is made with coconut milk, which adds some creaminess.
Butterfly pea flower and hibiscus tea are used to create this stunning drink. Perfect for the Fourth of July or any day. Vegan|Gluten-free
- 3 Tbsp butterfly pea flower tea (or blend)
- 1 1/2 boiling water
- 2 tsp hibiscus tea
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into several large sections
- 1– 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- juice from 5 large lemons
- 3 cups cold water.
- Ins separate bowls combine the butterfly pea flower and the hibiscus tea with hot water a steep for 5-10 mins or until they reach the desired colors.
- Strain and pour into ice cube trays, freeze.
- Pour the coconut milk into an ice cube tray and freeze.
- Juice the lemons. Strain the juice to remove seeds,
- In a large pot combine the sugar, ginger, lemon juice, and 1 cup of water. Heat over medium-low, stirring occasionally until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Let simmer for 5-10 mins.
- Remove the ginger pieces and add the remaining water.
- Pour into a pitcher and refrigerate until chilled.
- Place 2 ice cubes of each color into tall glasses and pour the lemonade over them.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 182
- Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 38
- Protein: 0
Keywords: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Fourth of july, summer