Vegan Campfire TVP Sloppy Joe Onion Bombs are a quick and easy camping meal. They’re simple to make, budget-friendly, and packed with flavor.
Are you looking for an easy and delicious vegan campfire recipe? These Sloppy Joe Onion Bombs are a great option for your next camping trip!
What Are Onion Bombs?
Onion bombs are a way of preparing food that uses a single layer of an onion that is stuffed and then baked. They are a great way to cook a meal on a campfire. Best of all, they are very simple to make and don’t require any special cooking equipment like cast iron pots.
To make an onion bomb simply cut an onion in half and carefully peel the layers apart. Try not to break the onion segments, but don’t worry if it has small cracks. Fill each half with your desired mixture and then joining similar sized halves back together, wrap them in foil and cook them on hot coals.
To avoid any possibility of the foil ripping I suggest using two layers of heavy-duty foil.
Use tongs to turn the onion bombs every 3 to 5 minutes to prevent them from burning.
Cooking time will vary depending on the temperature of the coals. The TVP is ready once it’s hot, approximately 20-30 mins.
What If I’m Not Camping? Can I Make Onion Bombs At Home?
Yes, you can absolutely make onion bombs at home!
- In the oven: place wrapped onion bombs on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 mins
- On the grill: place the wrapped onions on the grill away for direct heat. Turn occasionally. Grill for 20-30 mins.
PRO TIP: Prep the onion bombs before you head out on your trip! Make the Sloppy Joe filling and fill the onions while you’re still at home.
What To Serve With Onion Bombs?
Serve the TVP Sloppy Joes on buns, in a torillia, over rice, or just with some sides. They go great with potatoes, corn on the cob, or with some vegan coleslaw.
What Is TVP?
TVP or Textured Vegetable Protein is a plant-based protein made for soy that has a consistency very similar to ground beef. Which makes it a great option for recipes like tacos, chilis, sloppy joes.
Want more vegan campfire recipes?
EASY Vegan Campfire Sloppy Joe Onion Bombs! Perfect for dinner while camping or at home!
- Peel and cut the onion in half. Carefully remove the outer 4 layers one at a time trying not to break them.
- Finely chop the rest of the onion.
- In a large bowl mix the TVP, ketchup, sugar, flax seeds, mustard, garlic, and the rest of the onion.
- Bring the broth to a boil and pour over the mixture. Let sit for 10 mins.
- Fill each onion half with the mixture and then join the same sized halves together.
- Wrap with heavy-duty aluminum foil and place on hot coals.
- Cook for 30 mins, turning every 5 mins.
To cook at home bake at 350 degrees for 30 mins
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 293
- Fat: 1.3
- Carbohydrates: 46
- Protein: 25
Keywords: Vegan, camping, campfire