Onion bombs are a great way to cook on a campfire. They’re a very simple and easy to make dinner. Plus, you don’t need any special cooking equipment.
Simply cut an onion in half, peel the outer layers off, and fill them with the TVP mixture.
Join the two halves back together,
wrap them in heavy-duty aluminum foil, and then place them on hot coals.
Serve as is with some sides
or as a sandwich.
The onion bombs can be assembled a day ahead of time.Print
EASY Vegan Campfire Sloppy Joe Onion Bombs! Perfect for dinner while camping or at home!
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cups TVP
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Peel and cut the onion in half. Carefully remove the outer 4 layers one at a time trying not to break them.
- Finely chop the rest of the onion.
- In a large bowl mix the TVP, ketchup, sugar, flax seeds, mustard, garlic, and the rest of the onion.
- Bring the broth to a boil and pour over the mixture. Let sit for 10 mins.
- Fill each onion half with the mixture and then join the same sized halves together.
- Wrap with heavy-duty aluminum foil and place on hot coals.
- Cook for 30 mins, turning every 5 mins.
To cook at home bake at 350 degrees for 30 mins
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 293
- Fat: 1.3
- Carbohydrates: 46
- Protein: 25
Keywords: Vegan, camping, campfire