There’s nothing like a warm piece of coffee cake on a lazy weekend morning! Made with delicious blueberries and topped with a sweet and crunchy streusel topping this vegan version is a crowd pleaser!
Recently my mother-in-law came to visit. One morning while she was here I decided I wanted to make her coffee cake for breakfast. Something sweet, moist, with a crunchy crumb topping, and of course vegan.
I also didn’t want to go to the store, so I had to work with what I already had on hand.
This vegan blueberry streusel coffee cake definitely met all of those requirements.
It was a huge hit and best of all it was super easy to make.
My Latest Video
How To Make Vegan Coffee Cake
Vegan coffee cake is very simple to make. You don’t need to have any baking experience and unlike scones, there isn’t any chilling time involved. First, mix together the ground flax seeds with warm water and set it aside for ten minutes. This will work as a binder to keep the cake from crumbling.
Add all of your dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix until well combined. Pour your wet ingredients over the dry ones and mix until just combined, overmixing will result in a though cake.
Next, mix together the streusel ingredients and sprinkle them on top of the cake and then bake.
More Vegan Brunch RecipesPrint
A vegan version of a classic blueberry coffee cake with a crunchy crumb top.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease an 8×8 pan.
- Mix flax seeds and water together and set aside for 10 mins.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flax, almond milk, and oil. Stir until just mixed, don’t over stir.
- Fold in blueberries and pour into pan. The batter will be pretty thick.
- In the same large bowl mix together the flour and brown sugar.
- Add the Earth Balance and mix until has the consistency of fine gravel. Spread over the coffee cake.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serving Size: 9
- Calories: 340
- Fat: 11.8
- Carbohydrates: 60
- Protein: 4
Keywords: vegan, breakfast, blueberry coffee cake, mothers day, baking