There are so many reasons to love beets.
Beets are incredibly versatile. They’re fantastic in soup, salad, and they also make delicious beet burgers.
They have a tasty earthy flavor and most of all they’re a gorgeous red.
These plant-based burgers are smoky and satisfying.
Top them with homemade pesto for a fantastic flavor combination.Print
Smoky vegan beet burgers with tasty spinach walnut pesto.
- 3 medium beets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- one can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 cups basil
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp walnuts
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and cut beets into half inch cubes.
- Toss with oil and bake for 30-40 mins or until you can pierce them with a fork. Allow to cool until they can be handled.
- Place the beets, chickpeas, rice, walnuts, flax, paprika, salt, and liquid smoke in a food processor.
- Pulse until there are no large pieces left.
- Divide into 6 portions and shape into patties.
- Place on parchment lined cooking sheet and bake for 25 mins.
- While the burgers are cooking combine the basil, spinach, oil, walnuts, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, and salt in a food processor and blend until well combined. Add a few tbsp of water if the mixture is too thick.
- Spread pesto on beet burgers.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 440
- Fat: 31.3
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Protein: 12
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-free, Burger, beets, pesto