Sometimes on cold blustery days, you just need to stay inside nibble on some warm, fulling, tasty foods. On days like that this baked vegan pumpkin pasta comes in handy.
Originally I was going to go on a backpacking trip this weekend to Indian Heaven Wilderness. It’s located in southwest Washington and is supposed to have some of the best fall colors in the Pacific North West. Unfortunately, a storm rolled in with rain and high winds.
It ended up not being as bad as originally predicted, but it still knocked downed trees and caused power outages in some areas. There was even a tornado that touched down on the Oregon coast.
It wasn’t a good weekend to be outside.
So I decided to stay in and try to make most of it by listening to one of my favorite podcasts (Crime Writers On) and making some comfort food.
Pasta is quite possibly the most comforting of all the comfort food.
Continuing with my pumpkin kick I figured I’d make a savory pumpkin pasta with a crunchy breadcrumb top.
The perfect meal for a stormy day.
How To Make Baked Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
Baked pasta is very easy to make. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Heat the oil in a small saucepan and saute the onions until they turn translucent, then add the minced garlic and cook for an additional three minutes. Add the pumpkin, tomatoes, soy sauce, broth, and seasoning. Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. In a small bowl mix together all of the ingredients for the breadcrumb topping.
Mix pasta and sauce together and spread in a baking sheet. Cover the pasta with the herbed breadcrumbs and bake until golden.
More Vegan Pumpkin RecipesPrint
A savory vegan pumpkin pasta with a crunchy breadcrumb top.
- onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 15oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch pepper
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cook pasta following directions on the box. While pasta is cooking prepare pumpkin sauce.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat
- Add onion and cook until translucent about 5 mins
- Add garlic and cook for 3 mins
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Prepare breadcrumb topping by mixing the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Combine the cooked pasta and the sauce and spread over a 9×13 baking dish.
- Cover with topping and bake 25-30 mins or until the top is golden brown.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 481
- Fat: 22.3
- Carbohydrates: 65
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 13
Keywords: vegan, pasta, baked, pumpking